Speeding can cause serious damage. If you were injured because of a speeder, you may want to consider your legal options. Look no further than Mann Blake & Jackson Law to speak with an experienced Columbia car accident lawyer. Our legal team is committed to ensuring you obtain the compensation you need to heal.
What are the dangers of speeding?
Unfortunately, speeding has been the result of around one-third of all motor vehicle fatalities for the past two decades. In 2019, speeders were a contributing factor in 26% of all traffic fatalities.
It is important to keep in mind that speed also impacts your safety even when you are driving at the speed limit but too fast for road conditions, for instance, during bad weather, when a road is under repair, or in an area at night that is not sufficiently lit.
Speeding puts the life of the speeder in danger but also individuals on the road, including law enforcement officers. If you were injured as a result of a speeding driver, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Reach out to our firm today to discuss the details of your case and your legal options with a skilled Columbia personal injury lawyer.
What are the consequences of speeding?
Speeding is against the law in South Carolina for a reason. The consequences can be severe and even fatal. They include the following:
- Reduced effectiveness of occupant protection equipment;
- Increased stopping distance after the driver perceives a danger;
- Greater potential for loss of vehicle control;
- Increased degree of crash severity leading to more severe injuries;
- Economic implications of a speed-related crash; and
- Increased fuel consumption/cost.
What steps should I take if there is a speeder/aggressive driver on the road?
Speeding concerns many other people including other drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists. If you are on the road with a speeder, it is critical to take the following steps to best protect yourself:
- Provide speeding drivers with plenty of space. Speeding drivers may lose control of their vehicles more easily.
- If you are in the left lane and someone wants to pass, move over and let them.
- Modify your driving accordingly. Speeding is tied to aggressive driving. If a speeding driver is tailgating you or trying to engage you in risky driving, make the decision to safely navigate your vehicle out of the way.
- Contact the police if you believe a driver is following you or harassing you.
It is unfortunate that in some cases, you may not be able to avoid a speeding driver and are thus injured as a result. If you are in this unfortunate situation, you are not alone. At Mann Blake & Jackson Law, our legal team is on your side. Give us a call today.
Contact Our Experienced South Carolina Firm
If you require legal representation for matters of personal injury, elder abuse, or whistleblower protection, look no further than Mann Blake & Jackson Law. To discover more about our services and how we can assist you, contact our firm today.